Wednesday 7 April 2010

Health and Fitness: Yoga

I think we need a change of tune, finance can be a bit boring, so I thought we could discuss health and fitness. This is such a hot topic, always in the press and there are so many reality programmes about weight loss and health. It can all be a bit daunting. I've come to realised that you don't need to read, listen and watch the vast amounts of advice given in the media, you just need to listen to your own body.

Since I was young I have always been interested in having at least one regular activity. During my teens it was dance. I loved dancing!! I went to lessons on a Tuesday evening and on a Sunday and was even in a big dance show at quite a big guildhall. When I got to the last years of secondary school however, that sort of teenage mentality set in - I just wanted to see mates, I couldn't be bothered with the journey (the lessons were half an hour away), etc, etc. So I gave it up.

When I was in college I started up with some dance lessons again. These were run by university students and were quite intense. Having not danced for 3-4 years, I really struggled with remembering the routines, whilst being out of breath and trying to keep up with the beat. I was really annoyed with myself and again, gave up!

During uni I bought a couple of dance fitness DVDs - ministry of sound ones that really get you moving, with toning, dance, aerobics and beatbox sections. They really get you sweating and I found them to be really beneficial. So, I made a promise to myself, I would do them every other day or twice a week. I could never stick to it!!! I would do it for two - three weeks, marking it on my calender, but it would just slowly fade out and eventually I would stop it completely.


This constant battle is not because I want to loose weight, I'm happy with my weight. I want to be healthy and toned and fit. I want to feel energetic and active every day. I think exercise has so many benefits, health wise but also mood wise, as you come away feeling happier, healthier and more confident. I started doing some research on the internet about fitness and it came back with the usual - running, swimming, cycling. I did try out jogging and swimming. I did enjoy swimming, but having to drive to pool, and get changed and shower, was just more effort than I wanted. None of these appeal to me enough that I could do them every or every other day. I would just get bored!! Then I discovered yoga.

Yoga really appealed to me as it seemed very gentle, slow and calm, yet its trains your muscles, tones your body and gets your heart pumping at the same time. It also connects your body and your mind, so every posture you do links to a different emotion or experience. I think its this connection between your body and mind thats the reason I have continued with yoga. At the end of practice you always finish with at least five minutes led on your mat relaxing and letting the energetic work that you've done really take it toll on your body, whilst you connect with your inner self. I come away from each practice feeling fit, strong, flexible, but also relaxed, energised and really positive.

A huge focus during practice is put on looking inside yourself and really connecting with your inner peace. We close our eyes and think of the heart opening, energy spreading throughout the body, the breath traveling around the spine. You spend a lot of time just taking a step out of reality and relaxing and just focusing on yourself. Its hugely beneficial.

I go to a yoga class every Tuesday evening, and practice every day using guided practices on DVDs and CDs. Yoga has really changed my view of my body and my mind, its changed my view on exercise and fitness, and its most importantly changed my view of life and how I should lead my life. I challenge you to find any other type of exercise that will do that!

Finally, an exercise that I can connect with!

When you look for an exercise that suits you, use the internet and health magazines. But most importantly listen to your body. Don't pressure yourself with movements and activities that don't feel right. Go with your body and find something that just connects and feels right. It might take a while, but Its amasing when you finally find something just fits. Maybe you could even try yoga.

Stargirl

No comments:

Post a Comment