Friday 16 April 2010

Long lost friends


Friday 16th April 2010

Long lost friends


Last night I met up with my group of friends from college, which started 6 years ago and finished 4 years ago. Since college ended and we all went our separate ways (to uni or work) we have tried to remain friends and remain loyal to each other. In the first year after college we met up a lot, for every special occasion and in every half term or holiday. During the second year it kind of fizzled out and last night was the first time I had seen them all for over a year.

I was very nervous about meeting up with them. A lot has changed since we were friends in college. I am now a graduate and live with my partner. Two of the people I met up with are still at uni and living at home in the holidays. And lastly, one of the friends in engaged and is working full time. This made me anxious about how we would get on and what we would talk about. Another reason that I was nervous is because 2 people who we used to be really good friends with us have recently made it quite clear that they have moved on and want nothing more to do with us. I felt that with one of these people, i was to blame. (long story about her not getting on with Starboy).

When we met up last night (two girls, a boy and me) it was actually revealed that I had blamed myself for nothing and this particular person had been very horrible to my other friends as well. I took a big sigh of relief and began to relax into the evening and enjoy myself. I ended up having a really lovely time and we all got on very well. Although it was clear that the others were also a bit nervous, everyone ended up smiling and laughing just like old times.

Last night made me realise that although people grow up and move on with their lives, the basis of your friendship (your personalities and shared interests) probably still remain. There is no reason why a group of people who are at different stages of their lives can't still be friends. Not just friends, best friends. So let me say this to you, its better late than never. Find time to connect with your old friends, and you may find a friend for life.

Stargirl

No comments:

Post a Comment